Home > Guthrie Football > Dethroned! Season comes to an end

Dethroned! Season comes to an end

Bookmark and Share

The star power was well-known for the Guthrie BlueJays when they traveled to Tulsa East Central for their quarterfinal matchup with the Cardinals. The stars were bright, but the Jays still gave themselves an opportunity til the end.

However, East Central broke through the Guthrie barrier by defeating the Jays 20-13 and advances to next week’s state semifinal game with McAlester, who took down Deer Creek on their home turf. The East Central win marks their first win against Guthrie in five playoff tries since 2002.

Guthrie ends their season at 10-2 while East Central improves to 8-4 (losses coming to forfeits).

The loss stops a streak of five consecutive playoff wins for the Guthrie program. For the seniors, they leave the program with the most wins over a three-year span (2010-12) with a 35-4 record previously held by the 2006-08 record of 34-5.

Despite just one offensive score and unable at times to get into an offensive flow, Guthrie reached deep into the Cardinals red zone following a Kelyn Hinds interception to set the drive up at the Cards 40-yard line, but senior Bryan Dutton came up inches short of a first down at the six-yard line and turning the ball over on downs over midway in the fourth quarter.

The BlueJay offense could manage 194 yards on offense, including only 79 yards passing, while East Central racked up 447 yards.

Standout Stanvon Taylor fumbled on the first play from scrimmage in which led to the Jays finding the end zone four plays later when Dutton scored from 1-yard out for the game’s first score.

Taylor, an Oklahoma University commit, made up for the turnover by scoring the game’s next two touchdowns with 89 and 14 yard grabs. The Cards went for the two-point attempts and managed to execute on one of them for a 14-7 lead.

On the ensuing kickoff from Taylor’s second score, senior J.T. McFadden took the ball on a bounce and with a few blocks, along the sideline, was freed and scored on an 82-yard return to pull within one with two minutes left in the half. The extra point was no good and the Jays trailed at the break 14-13.

On the first play from scrimmage to begin the third quarter, the Cards appeared to have a 79 yard touchdown on a swing pass to running back William Goree, but a holding penalty neglected the score. However, the very next play quarterback Tre’von Cherry spotted Deontre Youngblood, on a slant, for an 81 yard score for what turned out to be the game’s final score.

Cherry finished 13-of-25 through the air for 301 yards and three TDs. He also rushed for 55 yards on five carries.

Guthrie had one final chance with just over 60 seconds left in the game starting out at their own 23, but Latarious McGoy stepped in front of a pass for the game clinching interception.

Categories: Guthrie Football
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: